Home Made Fruit Drinks- Great for Christmas to Save Money!

Today I want to bring to light with you all is the simplicity of making Christmas drinks yourself (diy)-- specifically home made fruit drinks-- which can help you save money! Many times we get so caught up with making our own drinks and making our own decorations for the holidays that we forget how simple it can be to do this. I've got a simple recips for a general fruit liqueur and some information to help you prepare for the holiday season coming up. Well, I know that I'm hoping to take advantage of smart planning with my money to make some fun drinks without spending lots of money, and I hope you do too. Here is my recipe, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I will!

General fruit liqueur recipe:

1 lb. berries or fruit
3 cups 80-proof vodka (or 1.5 cup pure grain alcohol + 1.5 cup water)
1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
Rinse the fruit or berries. Cut the fruit into small pieces. Place berries or fruit in a container, and add vodka. Cap and store in a cool, dark place, stir once a week for 2 - 4 weeks. Strain through metal colander. Transfer the unsweetened liqueur to an aging container (glass bottle or container with tight cap). To 3 cups unsweetened liqueur add 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar. Let age for at least three months. Pour carefully the clear liqueur to a new bottle. Add more sugar if necessary.
The fruit used for liqueur making can be used as deserts: mix with sugar and use with ice-cream. This is absolutely delicious and you'll have your friends asking where you got the syrup.

Storage of liqueurs

The flavor of almost all liqueurs improves during storage. Fruit and berry liqueurs should be stored for at least 6 months for maximum taste. Some lemon liqueurs (e.g. Limoncello) should not be stored for a long time.

Sugar content

Liqueurs should contain approximately 1 cup sugar per 3 cups finished liqueur. If your liqueur is too sweet, add a mixture of vodka and water (1:1).

Sweetness change during storage

Sugar is converted to glucose and fructose which are simple sugar types with less sweet flavor. Therefore sugar must sometimes be added to homemade liqueurs after storage for some months.

Alcohol content


The alcohol content should normally be 20-30% for fruit and berry liqueurs, except for citrus liqueurs which might have higher alcohol content. If your liqueur has too strong alcohol taste, add some water (or fruit juice) and sugar. If your liqueur has too low alcohol content, add vodka and sugar.

Liqueurs of fruit mixtures:

Don't mix more than two types of fruits or berries in liqueurs. You can make successful mixtures of bitter berries with mild ones, like blueberries and cranberries. If you mix more types you might end up with a sweet-sour drink with no interesting flavor.

If you're looking for a fruit drink that strays away from alcohol, I consider this as a base:  replace the strawberry in this Strawberry lime Soda with the fruit you'd like and it holds up as a healthy delicious, cheap drink!  I hope this helps you in your holiday season so that you'll save money and do it yourself again to create a great drink for you and your friends to enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey I know this іs off topic but I was wondering if you knew of any wiɗgets I could
add to my blog that automatically tweet my newеst twitter updates.

I've been looking for a plug-in like tɦis for quite some time and was hoping maybe
you ԝould have some experience with something like tɦis.

Please let mе know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy гeading
yoսг blog and I look forward tօ your new updates.


My homepage; The Family Survival Course